of $575 raisedGive Now
About this project
GOTR Council: Girls on the Run Rhode Island
Project Created on: 07/18/2018
Project Type: SoleMates
- Mission: We inspire girls to joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experienced-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
- The Program: During the 10-week season each fall and spring, girls meet twice a week in teams of up to 15 girls with their trained Volunteer Coaches. The intentially designed curriculum includes lessons that address critical life skills such as how to manage emotions, help others, make intentional decisions, and resolve conflict that use at home, at school, and with friends. Running and physical activity are used to build confidence and set goals. The season concludes with a celebratory 5K event which gives girls a sense of achievement as well as a framework for setting and achieving life goals; for GOTR participants, the finish line is just the beginning.
- There is a critical need for programming that enhances girls’ social, psychological and physical skills and behaviors to successfully navigate life experiences.
- Studies show that girls’ self-confidence begins to drop by age 9. 50% of girls ages 10 to 13 experience bullying such as name calling and exclusion at a time when peer relationships become more central to girls’ lives. Additionally, physical activity levels decline starting at age 10 and continue to decline throughout adolescence.
- Financial barriers are the most common challenge preventing girls from participating in GOTR programs. In an effort to minimize this financial barrier, GOTRRI is commited to providing financial assistance to at least 30% of our 600 girls annually and SoleMates directly help GOTRRI meet this goal!